Saturday, August 6, 2011

ALBUM OF THE MONTH: ELVIS IN CONCERT


In October of 1977, RCA Records released a soundtrack to a TV special called Elvis In Concert which was of Elvis' last concert tour in June just two months prior to his death. The album was an instant success, peaking at #5 on the Billboard charts and quickly selling 3 million copies. Released as a two-LP set, Elvis In Concert was a compilation of two concerts filmed in Omaha, Nebraska, and Rapid City, South Dakota by CBS for the special. The two concerts were filmed in large sports arenas that were sold out to capacity. While it doesn't represent the best of Elvis live, it does present some of the last music ever made by Elvis on this earth, just weeks before his untimely death. Elvis may not have been at the top of his game but his vocal power made up for it.



Track listing

  1. Elvis Fans Comments (Pt. 1)/Opening Riff
  2. "Also Sprach Zarathustra"
  3. "See See Rider"
  4. "That's All Right"
  5. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"
  6. "Teddy Bear"/"Don't Be Cruel"
  7. Elvis Fans Comments (Pt. 2)
  8. "You Gave Me a Mountain"
  9. "Jailhouse Rock"
  10. Elvis Fans Comments (Pt. 3)
  11. "How Great Thou Art"
  12. Elvis fans comments (Pt. 4)
  13. "I Really Don't Want To Know"
  14. Elvis Introduces his Father
  15. "Hurt"
  16. "Hound Dog"
  17. "My Way"
  18. "Can't Help Falling in Love"
  19. Closing Riff/Special Message from Elvis's Father
  20. "I Got A Woman/Amen"
  21. Elvis Talks
  22. "Love Me"
  23. "If You Love Me"
  24. "'O Sole Mio/It's Now or Never"
  25. "Trying to Get to You"
  26. "Hawaiian Wedding Song"
  27. "Fairytale"
  28. "Little Sister"
  29. "Early Morning Rain"
  30. "What'd I Say"
  31. "Johnny B. Goode"
  32. "And I Love You So"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

One of my favorite albums as you know!! As you pointed out, although not his best live performances, there are truly some gems on ELVIS IN CONCERT which often go unheralded or overlooked by many!!

How can performances like HURT, HOW GREAT THOU ART and MY WAY go so unappreciated by so many people? Other favorites of mine include AND I LOVE YOU SO, FAIRYTALE and I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

As I have often said, EPE basically markets Elvis in such a way as to shun anything he recorded after the ALOHA FROM HAWAII special and as the ELVIS IN CONCERT album demonstrates, that way of thinking is just not right. There is so much great music that EPE does not properly market to the fans post-ALOHA, and that is a crime in my opinion!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH my friend for showcasing this album and hopefully reaching some new Elvis fans!!

TCB!
Mike

VivaElvis said...

Thanks Mike! I couldn't agree more about the deliverance of Hurt and don't forget Trying To Get To You, my favorite performance from the whole album. How Great Thou Art is really moving at the end when he takes it to another level. And the rocking See See Rider never sounded more powerful than on EIC.

I understand what you are saying about EPE and I agree. However, they are all about the image and not the music which is sad. Elvis still made some good music post '73. Thanks for visiting my blog and I am glad that you enjoy it!