Monday, April 18, 2011

ALBUM OF THE MONTH: ELVIS 56

When it comes to the history of Rock & Roll, there's not a more important single year than 1956 as it was Elvis' big breakout year as the groundbreaking artist and the legend known as "The King of Rock & Roll" was born. Prior to 1956, music was one dimensional. It had no heart, no rhythm, and no soul. That all changed when Elvis took black blues and mixed it with country western and gospel soul to create a sound that had previously never been heard of. The album, Elvis 56 is a soundtrack to the year and represents the finest pure rocker that was ELVIS! Songs like Shake, Rattle and Roll with its raw racy lyrics of "The way you wear those dresses the sun comes shining through, I can't believe my eyes all that mess belongs to you". Maybe the sexiest line ever in a Presley song.

1956 produced #1 hit classics like Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel, Hound Dog, Too Much and I Want You, I Need You, I Love You. By the end of the year, Elvis had 8 top 10 hits on the charts breaking records by a landslide. Other classics from 1956 were Blue Suede Shoes, Love Me, I Was The One, and My Baby Left Me. Elvis was always listening to his favorite R&B singers who played a part in his inspiration. One of his favorite artists was Little Richard who Elvis covered. Songs like Tutti Frutti, Rip It Up and Ready Teady. He also covered Ray Charles' I Got A Woman, which became a staple to his live concerts later on during the 70's.

Elvis' style in 1956 would never be the same again. That's what makes that particular year so unique and special to both fans and historians. It was those recordings that shaped the future of pop, rock, country and soul. Elvis single handedly changed music in that one year alone! It was those early recordings that inspired four lads from Liverpool named, The Beatles.

Final words: If there is ever a must-have Elvis Presley cd, it's Elvis '56.

Original Release Date: 1996
Record Label: RCA/BMG
Reissued by Sony Music in 2003
Source: Mono

Tracklisting:
  1. Heartbreak Hotel
  2. My Baby Left Me
  3. Blue Suede
  4. So Glad You're Mine
  5. Tutti Frutti
  6. One-Sided Love Affair
  7. Love Me
  8. Anyplace Is Paradise
  9. Paralyzed
10. Ready Teddy
11. Too Much
12. Hound Dog
13. Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)
14. Don't Be Cruel
15. Lawdy Miss Clawdy
16. Shake, Rattle & Roll
17. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
18. Rip It Up
19. Heartbreak Hotel (Alternate Take 5 - previously unreleased)
20. I Got A Woman
21. I Was The One
22. Money Honey

Below: Elvis performing his #1 hit, 'Too Much' from his last appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1957.

1 comment:

Brian said...

A truly great album full of classic tracks. If only we had been around to see him actually sing some of them!!